In this episode of The Power Producers Podcast, David Carothers, and co-host Kyle Houck interview Josh Gurley, the vice president of Hunt-Miller Insurance Agency Inc. Josh talks about the importance of transparency, education, behaviors, and good relationships. Josh also shares how specific behaviors can lead to success.
- Where did Josh come from, and how did he get where he’s at now? (2:13)
- Josh shares that he has a degree in risk management and insurance. (5:42)
- Josh shares how he got into the insurance industry. (5:54)
- When Josh started in the industry, his total first-year production was $18,000 in revenue. (16:37)
- Josh tells more about how his first-year in the insurance industry was. (18:12)
- Josh shares the reason why he lost his insurance industry before. (20:25)
- Josh talks about how he became a marketing representative. (25:05)
- Josh shares that he has a good relationship with his previous company. (29:51)
- What are the changes that Josh did to turn things around? (32:39)
- What Josh mostly sees are people that are not good in renewal processes. (35:16)
- Josh says that one of the first accounts he called was a bank publicly traded on the NASDAQ. (36:42)
- Josh shares one of the biggest success stories of his career. (45:27)
- Josh thinks that the biggest mistake that people make is they think that it’s their job to quote people’s insurance. (46:47)
- Josh talks about how technology helped them win large accounts just by sending out straight content marketing. (51:29)
- Josh explains how they get prospects. (51:48)
- Josh uses the word introduction instead of referral in his daily business. (53:29)
- Josh shares that they’ve gotten all of their content from soundwave. (1:01:25)
- Josh shares his selection process of qualifying people. (1:04:43)
3 Key Points:
- Josh just adopted some practices that were different from others. For him, education is important. He never had any issues being a good insurance technician or anything like that.
- Josh is passionate about the insurance business, and he thinks it’s the best business that anyone could get themselves into.
- Josh believes that there are sets of behaviors that make people become successful.
- “I believe that the only reason that people get out of the insurance business is that they don’t sell enough insurance”
- “You have to respect yourself, you have to respect what you do. You have to understand that what you do brings value to people’s organizations.”
- “I think that that transparency is something that is missing a lot in our world.”